Wednesday 24 November 2010

So what does War Gaming have in common with Call of Duty???

*Sub-titled I've done nothing but work and play Black Ops*

But on a serious note playing on-line and hearing people bemoan weapon X, perk X, camping, etc dose have some things in common with war gaming - at least in my experience.

So for example:

"The FAMAS is over powered!"
and........
"Space Wolves/Imperial Guard are over powered"

Lazy people will always take to path of least resistance for victory, but will always come unstuck against a better player who has an understanding of the game(s), for example little Johnny net list will copy a list from a website but will never understand how it really works, it's little tricks, how it flows, and it's nuances.

"You only won because you camped"

Well who's the dumb-ass for running into the same meat grinder over and over!! The only Warhammer comparison I can think of is someone who plays a pure assault army and loses cos he got shot up...... or...

"You only won cos you had tanks" (or insert unit X here)

I got this of a fellow IG player who had more tanks than my Space Wolves!!! Leman Russ Punisher, 2 Chimeras and a Hellhound vs a Solo Land Raider and 2 Rhinos - yeah. And I won that game thanks to........... my Wolf Scouts and Wolf Guard Battle Leader with Saga of the hunter who all out flanked.

If you cannot truly understand why you lost, then you will lose time and time again the same way. Personally I would rather win a good, closely fought game over a one sided ass whooping any day of the week. I am always free to discuss a game afterwards with an opponent and how the battle ebbed and flowed - what worked and what didn't (normally my Land Raiders) or who was uber lucky!

Or perhaps it's just over the last few weeks I have had enough of people's whiny crappy "can't do" attitude, or "It's the lag", "He's a noob tubing camper", or "Codex Creep" - personally I think it's a case of adapt or die.

So am I a young grumpy old man or have I grown up and seen the light?

I think it's best to finish this small post (or mini rant if you will) with my favourite quote:

“Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. 

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.” ~ Bruce Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment