Tuesday 29 March 2011

UK Indy GT: Game 1: Sisters of Battle

Well here we are, the reason I started blogging! Now I will admit that overall I did poor - 74th out of 120, I was hoping the top half but over the next few days/posts you will see why!

First of here's my list for the weekend for those of you who don't know:

HQ (210)
Rune Priest, Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane, Chooser of the Slain = 110
Rune Priest, Living Lightning, Jaws of the World Wolf = 100 

Elites (279)
5 Wolf Scouts, Melta Gun =85
5 Wolf Scouts, Melta Gun =85
3 Wolf Guard: 2 armed with a power fist and a combi melta each, 1 with a combi melta and a bolt pistol 109

Troops (670)
10 Grey hunters, 2 Melta Guns, Wolf Banner, Mark of the Wulfen = 180
Rhino = 35
10 Grey hunters, 2 Melta Guns, Wolf Banner, Mark of the Wulfen = 180
Rhino = 35
5 Grey Hunters, 1 Melta Gun, =80
Rhino = 35
6 Grey Hunters, 1 Flamer =90
Rhino = 35

Fast Attack (210)
Land Speeder Tornado, Multi Melta, Heavy flamer = 70
Land Speeder Tornado, Multi Melta, Heavy flamer = 70
Land Speeder Tornado, Multi Melta, Heavy flamer = 70

Heavy Support (380)
5 Long Fangs, 4 Missile Launchers = 115
Razorback, Lascannon, Twin linked Plasma gun = 75
5 Long Fangs, 4 Missile Launchers = 115
Razorback, Lascannon, Twin linked Plasma gun = 75

 Grand Total: 1,749


So game 1 vs the only Witch Hunter player in the field Gary Marsh, regular tournament player and a pro with Sisters of Battle. His list was:

Elite choice inquisitor with 3 Heavy Bolter sevators and some advisor's who didn't do much
2 Canonesse's with Jump Packs, Artificer armour and Executioners
3 Exorsists
1 Unit of 5 Seraphins
3 units of sisters with Rhinos and Sister Superiors with Executioners  
Callidus Assassin


Gary's lovely Sisters of Battle
Game 1 was Seize Ground (5 objectives) Dawn of War.

The first was both forces getting on the board and into position. My plan was just to get stuck in and contest/kill anything of Gary's - that was until he started shooting!

First shot of the game, a hand flamer on a Flat out Land Speeder - 6 followed by a 6 :(

Also due to the was Gary had castled up in the middle to deny my scouts a chance on his exorsists pretty much took the scouts out of the game for the most part.
End of turn 1
Things look good in my 2nd turn....
.... but then go horribly wrong buy the end of turn 4

Turns 3 and 4 saw me trying to shift the Seraphims and Canonesse's, but using his faith to give the Characters a 2+ invulnerable was a real pain in the side!


Turn 4 wasn't any kinder to my lead elements
In turn 5 the remaining sisters and exorcists laid waste to my two 10 Grey Hunter units, while the Canonesse's whittle down my smaller units

The fight for 3 of the objectives hot up...

... while a unit of sisters make a break for a 4th


Turn 6 saw me lose pretty much everything in some pretty shocking rolling for me and even some failed leadership tests I would not recover from.

One unit of sisters went for an objective on the far right earlier in turn 4 but had gotten bocked of by a Razorback and contested by a single scout Gary had a hard choice kill the Razorback and the Scout or Kill the Razorback and run at the scout to be with in 3. Gary choose to kill both the Razorback and the Scout in hope for a turn 7....

Mean while on the left side I was down to 7 models but had finally finished of the Canonesse's.

With us both controlling 1 objective each a 7th turn would see Gary win either by 2-1, 2-0 or wipe out..... but it ended in the 6th.

So with only 3 Grey Hunters left, 3 Long Fangs and a Rune Priest (or Witch as Gary calls them) I got lucky.
Gary had 2 Exorcists left, a Rhino, his Callidus Assassin, Inquisitor and 2 unit of sisters.

All I had left!

So close but yet so far......
So what did I learn from this game?

1. There will be no easy games
2. I HAVE to be more aggressive - I did this in many practise games against my friend Ben's Imperial Guard but didn't in this despite the Sister's packing much less fire power and mobility!

Thanks to Gary for the game he was a top bloke to play against and who knew how to use his units well.

Game 2 will see me play Mech Orks controlled by Ben Harris in Pitch Battle, Capture and Control (bore drawn)..........................

No comments:

Post a Comment